Fort Laramie, Fur Trade Days and the CCC

Anyone who follows my posts, and this is number 601, from all of my blogs, knows that I have two great interests in American history. They are the opening of the American west and the Civilian Conservation Corps of the 1930s. Today I would like to make a mention of both.

First my book on the CCC, The Civilian Conservation Corps and the Building of Guernsey State Park, should be available next week. When I started this book I thought it would take six months. That was more than I wanted, but I felt it would be worth it. Well, next month will be month 23 of the six I planned. Yes, it was a bit harder than I expected. I will put a link up as soon as it goes live. If nothing else you can download the free sample.


Second, I have already marked my calendar for June, 20 at Fort Laramie. That weekend, June 21 is Father’s Day, and the annual, “Fur Trade Days.”
This features a nice trapper’s camp and talks and demonstrations by reenactors. Here are a few photos from last years, Fur Trade Days. Can’t wait!

4 comments:

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

Shoot, until I read this entry, I didn't know you had more than one blog. You should post a link to the others here.

"First my book on the CCC, The Civilian Conservation Corps and the Building of Guernsey State Park, should be available next week. When I started this book I thought it would take six months. That was more than I wanted, but I felt it would be worth it. Well, next month will be month 23 of the six I planned. Yes, it was a bit harder than I expected. I will put a link up as soon as it goes live. If nothing else you can download the free sample."

I'll be looking forward to the book!

I hae to laugh about your comment on the length of time it takes to do this. I think my first book took me at least twice as long to finish, or longer, than it was supposed to. I'm supposed to be writing a second one now, and I'm already massively behind schedule. It's hard, slow, work.

Neil A. Waring said...

I thought it was just me that was so slow. Thanks for reading.

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

No, I think its a writer constant. Indeed, my son teased me some time ago that I was truly a writer, as I never make my deadlines.

Part of that is for me, and I'll bet for you, that I'm a compulsive writer, and an occupational writer. Lawyers are to writing what physicists are to math, just applied writers basically. But when you write all day, it's pretty hard to actually do the research and writing on a book on your own time.

Neil A. Waring said...

No, I think it's a writer constant. Indeed, my son teased me some time ago that I was truly a writer, as I never make my deadlines.

Yep, they are hard to make. I set lots of goals and deadlines for myself, usually reach them but not on time. I just keep moving my deadlines. I have a new historical novel set for release at the end of may. Yikes, it is May. It is finished but not really ready yet. I will move the deadline to June and maybe by the end of July it will be out.