Me and Bill Nye


Bill Nye, as frequent readers of this blog know, is one of my all-time favorite Wyomingites. His columns, written over one hundred years ago still make me smile. On June 1, 1877 his column topic was a recent Laramie jail break. Never one to miss a chance at humor, he picked on not the jail breakers but the people that were worried that something might happen to them because of the jail break. The old, they might come to my house idea. Below are excerpts from his column.

“Different rumors pervaded the town last evening between the hours of 8 p.m. and 10. Some had understood that the jailor had been struck in the cerebellum, others that he was struck in the act of locking the iron gate. It was earnestly reported at one time that the court house had been surrounded by a large Russian force, and that some were rushin’ in and others rushin’ out.”

“He ends the column as only Bill Nye could. “Two hundred and eleven women looked under two hundred and eleven beds before retiring, and the man of the house put his trusty Smith and Wesson under his pillow where it wouldn’t be stolen. During the still hours of the night he would feel that he must shoot somebody, and as a slight noise greeted his ear he would creep to the door and shoot a hole in the rain-water barrel.”

I have twice used a photo of Edgar Wilson, ‘Bill,’ Nye, so thought you might enjoy a Wyoming sunset – I took this photo about seven this evening.

8 comments:

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

The sunsets, and the evenings, have really been nice the past few days. Nice temperatures and not much wind.

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

I was down in Laramie a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday and, in going downtown, I found that a bakery I used to occasionally visit in the 1980s, when I was a student, has a sign on it noting Bill Nye as a customer during his years in Laramie. The sign noted that the bakery had been that, in continuous operation, the entire time. As it was a Sunday, I was unable to determine if it is still open now.

Neil A. Waring said...

I retired as a teacher from Laramie High School. The only bakery, I knew of, closed while we were there. Would be interested in finding out where this building is. I have read everything I could find on Bill Nye, fascinating and humorous man.

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

This will be a bad way to locate it, but its right next to "Maurice's" downtown. I was reading the sign while waiting for my wife. To my surprise, it was open on a Sunday (the store, not the bakery).

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

If you look on this Google image, you can see the plaque. You can't read it however. In this photo, it looks like a bakery might be there. This is to the right of Maurice's.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3107651,-105.5949122,3a,75y,263.79h,83.21t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s42gdMOFGbEDBSHRscQ_7eQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

If that doesn't work, use Google Maps to go to the address for Maurices, and look to the right.

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

The current occupant of the building is apparently Bella Home Boutique and Bakery. I'm sure when I lived there it was a different bakery.

Golfguy said...

Out of state on vacation now but will have a look next time I am in Laramie _thanks. NEIL