The Holidays Are Here

As I write this post, Thanksgiving is tomorrow with Christmas soon to follow, then it will be a New Year, wow, 2017, I have barely got used to writing 2016. It seems like years go faster than they used to. I can remember as a kid how much I looked forward to this time of year and time away from school after the grind of three months with only Veterans Day off.
How Did It All Start?
Most people know that President Washington first proclaimed a day of Thanksgiving, but it was never official until October 3, 1863, when President Lincoln, elated with a Union victory at Gettysburg announced the first official Thanksgiving to be celebrated November 26, 1863. The short speech announcing the official holiday was written for Lincoln by his Secretary of State William Seward. The speech declared that hereafter the fourth Thursday of every November would be set aside as an official holiday – Thanksgiving.

Maybe It Should Be Moved
That fourth Thursday of November has been Thanksgiving in the United States every year since, except once. FDR, with hopes to help out the Depression, sieged American, moved it to the third Thursday in 1940, hoping it would encourage more shopping before Christmas. Must not have been very well received as Congress moved it back to the fourth Thursday before Thanksgiving in 1941.

Early Wyoming Thanksgivings
This time of year I often wonder what was on the table for Thanksgiving in early Wyoming homes. Rabbit, Pronghorn steaks, Duck, Goose, maybe something domesticated like beef, pork or chicken. How about sides, no cranberries out here, but may have been some nice strawberry or raspberry jam. Fresh baked bread, potatoes, and gravy, and likely a nice desert could round out the meal. Sounds pretty good.

Black Friday
Onward toward Black Friday, Cannot wait to get out shopping at five in the morning. Not really, I will be home, relaxing, I am not one for crowds, or for that matter, shopping. I may watch some of the crazy shoppers on the evening news. If I get the urge to shop, I might order something online.
Personal Note
My wife and I had a terrific time Monday evening in Chugwater, Wyoming, where I spoke to the local Historical Society about the Civilian Conservation Corps and the building of Guernsey State Park.
South Wing of the CCC built Museum at Guernsey State Park


Have a great Thanksgiving everyone and don’t overeat – just kidding, go ahead.

No comments: