Snow and Wyoming Sheep

Always nice to get enough snow to help with the yearly snowpack. This last storm should be a tremendous help. Enough snow will guarantee full reservoir’s, running streams and rivers this summer. This will also make irrigation water available when, and where, it is needed downstream.
After we scooped our way to the garage
It's also terrific for the wildflowers and grasslands of Wyoming.
 
Last May in Guernsey State Park

The snow has kept me a bit closer to home than I like but looks like that by the weekend it will be better.
Need to wait for a little more melt before I take my seat on the front porch
In 1892, Governor B.B Brooks brought in sheep along with his cattle at his V Bar V Ranch. This was something that angered and disappointed cattle producers all over the west. Cattle had been king and sheep were much hated as more and more of the cattle business operated in Wyoming. Even the killing blizzards of the late 1880s did not deter the cattlemen, it also was one of the reasons that Brooks brought sheep to the V Bar V.  In his, Memoirs, he writes about snow and the effect it has on sheep.

“Then we thought, surely the blizzards, with the cold and deep snow in winter, would exterminate them; but they did not. In time, we discovered that sheep could stand more hardship and bad weather than the cattle. Still they kept coming, multiplying, prospering.”

As I have said before, at one time I loved winter, not so much anymore, but I still enjoy the nice days of winter and it looks like we have quite a few of them coming. I might be ready for spring, but still do not think I could become a snowbird and give up on the four seasons in Wyoming.
My backyard version of a snowbird palace

No matter how much I don't care for it, it's still beautiful






No comments: