Oldest House in Wyoming

Did you know the oldest house in the world is in Wyoming? This may not be a completely accurate statement but it is true if you look at this house the way I do. How do I look at it? I look at the building material not the structure itself.
How old is it? This is why it is the oldest, it is 150,000,000 years old, maybe more. The house was built of dinosaur bones from one of many digs at nearby Como Bluff. 


The Bluff is near the small Wyoming village of Medicine Bow, the town made famous in Owen Wister’s, “The Virginian.”
Como Bluff Area
Como Bluff digs have yielded bones of hundreds of dinosaurs, included two of the most complete skeletons ever found. One of many remains found here was the famous thunder lizard, Brontosaurus, the 75 foot long amphibious Sauropod.
Brontosaurus-Rex

I have always found the idea of dinosaurs roaming Wyoming and other parts of the earth fascinating, but I know very little about them. I am learning more from my grand-kids every time they visit and we watch, Walking With Dinosaurs.


Seems kids like to study the giant animals. I do not think we spent much time, maybe no time at all studying dinosaurs when I was in elementary school, maybe I was daydreaming of recess at the time. It was a long, long time ago when I was in elementary school, perhaps dinosaurs were still walking around at the time and not that interesting to study.

3 comments:

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

I've driven past there a million times, but never stopped in. Next time I go by there, I'm going to.

Unknown said...

What a neat place! I love how many interesting museums and other monuments there are all over the country in even isolated areas and small towns. This is great!

Rebecca said...

My kids love the series "Walking with Monsters: Before the Dinosaurs." Giant centipedes, ocean monsters. Crazy, crazy stuff you can be really glad we don't have to share the earth with. (Not that we even could. The climates these critters lived in would make Al Gore weep.)